The Iowa Athletic Council believes parents play a vital role in the development student-athletes. We ask that this code of conduct be distributed so parents, players and coaches have an opportunity to read them.
- I will encourage good sportsmanship by being a positive role model.
- I will try my best to make athletics a positive experience for everyone involved, i.e., participants, coaches, officials, and spectators.
- I will insist my player treat other players, coaches, officials, and fans with respect.
- I will reinforce the school’s drug and alcohol free policies and refrain from use alcohol and other drugs before or during contests.
- I will do my best to understand and appreciate the rules of the contest.
- I will show appreciation for an outstanding play by either team.
- I will be a “team” fan, not a “my child” fan.
- I will help my child learn that success is measured by the development of skills, not winning or losing.
- If I have a concern, I will talk to the coach at the appropriate time and place, i.e., never before, during, or immediately after a contest.
- I do my best to remember my ticket to a school athletic event provides me with the privilege of observing the contest, not berating officials, coaches, or players.
Information provided by the Iowa Athletic Council.