ATTENTION: PLEASE READ THE REVISED COVID-19
SUBSTITUTE TEACHING REQUIREMENTS
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Substitute Teacher at the Central DeWitt CSD. To be qualified to substitute teach, you must complete the required paperwork. (There is no application required.)
- To Substitute Teach in the State of Iowa we must have a copy of your current Teacher’s License or Iowa Substitute Authorization License.
- If you don’t yet have an Iowa Teacher’s License or need to renew your license, please contact the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners in Des Moines for detailed information at www.boee.iowa.gov or by phone at 515-281-3245.
- We must have a copy of your college transcripts showing your original four-year degree.
- The required documents are also located on the Employee Forms page highlighted with the big, red REQUIRED designation. You are welcome to download, print, and complete them from the website if you prefer.
- Background check waivers – please complete both pages
- Current Mandatory Reporter training which includes both Child Abuse and Dependent Adult Abuse
- Bloodborne pathogens training completed this school year
- Right to Know training
- Direct Deposit form and required attachment
- I-9 Form, including required attachments as listed on page 3 of the form
- W-4 Iowa Tax Form (OR Illinois if you live there)
- W-4 Federal Tax Form
- Substance Free Workplace form signed
- Technology Acceptable Use Policy read and the Agreement signed
- Hepatitis B Vaccine form, including your choice to accept or refuse
- All completed forms must be turned in to the Administration Center.
- If you would prefer to pick up a paper packet of the forms or to have one sent to you, please contact Gayle as shown below.
Once we have all of these required documents on file, you are eligible to be a substitute teacher for Central DeWitt CSD.
If you have any questions about the process, please contact:
email@example.com, , Phone (563) 659-4701, Fax (563) 659-0707
NOTE: If your status changes for any reason and you no longer are available to us as a substitute teacher, we request that you please contact Gayle Pepmeier as shown above to let her know. We will then make you inactive in the Frontline Absence Management system. We appreciate your consideration in this matter.
Procedures for Contacting Substitute Teachers:
The Central DeWitt CSD utilizes an automatic service to simplify and streamline the process of notifying substitute teachers when your services are needed in the district. This service, called Frontline Absence Management, utilizes both the telephone and the Internet to assist you in locating jobs in the school district for which you work. After you are assigned an ID number and PIN number for our district, you may interact with the system either on the Internet at www.frontlinek12.com/Products/Aesop.html or by way of a toll-free, automated voice instruction menu system at 1-800-942-3767.
Once we have all the required items and have entered you as an active substitute teacher for our district, you will receive an e-mail explaining how to log in to Frontline and utilize the system. If you are already an active substitute teacher for our district, you will continue using the same password and log-in from last year.
Please note: You may also contact Frontline to search for available jobs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at the website listed above or the toll-free number listed above.
We recommend that you always verify your substitute assignment by logging in to Frontline (or calling them at 1-800-942-3767) BEFORE LEAVING HOME for the job. Then you are assured the job is still on and you should report as planned. Sometimes the absence is cancelled, and we don’t want you to have to show up when that happens. Frontline sends you an email notification when a job is cancelled, so at the very least, please check your email messages before leaving home for the job.
When a substitute is secured for a teacher vacancy, the substitute teacher is expected to report to their assigned building. Each substitute is expected to check in with the principal or principal’s secretary upon arriving at a building.
All Building Starting and Ending Times are 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Substitutes are required to be in the assigned building 30 minutes prior to the starting time and 15 minutes after students are dismissed.
Cancelling a Job After You Have Accepted It
If necessary, Frontline allows you to cancel out of an assignment by the deadline of 5:50 am on the day of the job. If it’s a multi-day assignment, you may cancel up to 24 hours in advance. If it’s after the 5:50 am deadline and you need to cancel from a job on the day it is scheduled, we ask that you notify the building office for that teacher. That phone number can be found by logging in to Frontline, finding that job assignment, and then clicking on the icon that looks like a green telephone.
Even if the office is not yet open, you will be able to leave a message. They need to be aware of this as soon as possible so they can try to fill that opening before school starts for the day.
Substitute Pay Schedule:
- $125/day – Regular Substitute Teacher Rate.
- Substitute Teachers will receive the base per diem pay according to the current Central-DeWitt Education Association (CDEA) Master Contract (BA, Step 1) after substituting for the same teacher 10 consecutive days, retroactive back to the first day. For the current school year this will be $154.74/day.
We recommend that you verify your days worked are posted to the Frontline site since that is how you are paid. If you notice that a day you worked is not posted to your Frontline account, please notify the building office where you worked that day and they will help to correct this. We recommend you check these every Friday so you know the entries are accurate before payroll is processed.
Pay day is once per month on the 20th of the month. Please go to the Employee Forms & Links page and click on “Payroll cut-off dates for this year” to see this current information. Central DeWitt CSD requires Direct Deposit of payroll. With direct deposit, payroll is deposited directly into the bank account(s) you specify at midnight on the 20th. If the 20th falls on a weekend or holiday, payday is the day before.
To access the school district calendar, please go to the home page of our district website, then hover on the “News” tab and you will find it there.
Please go to the the Employee Forms & Links page and click on “Nurse’s Notes for Substitutes” to see this current information
School may be closed due to inclement weather. Usually, the determination to close school is made prior to 6:00 a.m. Although we make every attempt to have our emergency announcements posted to television and radio stations, sometimes there are technical difficulties beyond our control that inhibit the process. Therefore, we suggest that you also check our web site www.central-csd.org for the most reliable and up-to-date information. It is our request that you please not call schools or the central office, if possible, to keep the lines free for emergencies and communication purposes.
Please realize, you may sign up to receive news and updates from the district that include late starts, cancellations, etc. To do so, go to the home page of our website and scroll down to “Central DeWitt News” – just to the left of that headline you will see the link to “Register for News & Updates.” Enter your personal information here, and after our next system reboot you will begin receiving these notifications.
The district will not be telephoning substitutes if there is a school cancellation. It is your responsibility to monitor one of the above sources to determine if school has been cancelled. Substitutes who were scheduled to work that day will not be paid if school has been cancelled.
ALICE: Central DeWitt CSD has implemented the ALICE protocols throughout our district. This stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate. Please go to the Employee Forms/Links page of our website for access to a Code/Building Lockdown Procedure Guide as well as a youtube video to learn more about ALICE.
Central DeWitt Administrative Center, (563) 659-0700
331 E. 8th St., P.O. Box 110, DeWitt, IA 52742
Central DeWitt High School, Grades 9-12, (563) 659-0715
519 East 11th Street, P.O. Box 110, DeWitt, IA 52742
Central DeWitt Middle School, Grades 7-8, (563) 659-0735
425 E. 11th St., P.O. Box 110, DeWitt, IA 52742
Central DeWitt Intermediate School, Grades 4-6, (563) 659-4780
1010 4th Ave. East, P.O. Box 110, DeWitt, IA 52742
Ekstrand Elementary School, Grades PK-3, (563) 659-0750
1140-15th Street, P.O. Box 110, DeWitt, IA 52742