The key roles and responsibilities of the school board are to:
- Hire and evaluate the superintendent
- Approve the district budget
- Establish goals and evaluate outcomes
- Adopt and evaluate policies
- Delegate administrative responsibilities
- Communicate with the community
Because the board is a governmental body, it can take action only by a majority vote at a legally called meeting. The individual board member’s major responsibility is to study, evaluate and, after consideration, vote in the interests of all students. School Board members are guardians of the public trust and through the policies they make, they establish the standards and philosophy by which district schools are run. Their ultimate responsibility is to determine the criteria used to evaluate how well the schools are run.